Montour County
Skip navigation links
About Us
On-Line Forms
Contact Us
Register and Recorder
Elections and Voter Registration
Skip navigation links
CommissionersExpand Commissioners
County Fee Schedules
County OfficesExpand County Offices
Open Records RequestsExpand Open Records Requests
Common Questions and Answers for Address Change
Montour County

Q: Why do we need readdressing?  My street is numbered perfectly, so why does my number need to change?

A: As part of the 911 center merger with Columbia County, a number of addressing errors were found.  Because a geo-locating requirement from the federal government is imminent, Montour County Commissioners did not want residents to go through the process twice and made the decision to bring all addresses to the federal standard at the same time.  This national standard means your new address is based on the distance from the beginning of your road/street to your structure.

Q: I had no idea that there was an addressing project occurring within our county. Why didn’t I have any input and who authorized this change?

A: The County and the Municipalities have done their best to inform the public as well as communicate with the residents since the inception of this project. There have been newspaper articles and public meetings to inform residents about the undertaking of this project.

Q: I’ve had the same Rural Route address for years. Why does my Rural Route address have to change now?

A: Your old Rural Route address doesn’t indicate specifically where your house is located. The new address, which includes a house number and street name, is based on a logical system that will make it easier for emergency service personnel to find your house in an emergency. You will no longer use the words “Rural Route”.

Q: Why is the name of the street I live on changing?

A: In some cases, where duplicate or similar-sounding road names exist, one of the road names may change to avoid the potential for confusion in an emergency.  Likewise, there cannot be a duplicate address (101 Main St) within the same postal zip code.

Q: Should I post my new address number?

A: Yes. In order to help emergency personnel reach you, it is critical to have your number posted. Each municipality will have specific information regarding the size and placement of the markers. Speak with your municipal officials concerning color, size and specific placement.

Q: I get my mail at the post office (Post Office Box). However, I received a notice that I have a new address. What should I do?

A: You will continue to receive your mail at the post office box.  Your new address is your physical address where your actual house is located.  Your physical address will be used for emergency response, and if you prefer it can also be used for parcel deliveries, etc.  You should use your new address as part of your entire mailing/post office box address, it must appear in the order shown below:

John Doe
111 Water Road
PO Box 123
City, State, Zip Code

Q: When my address changes, how will the post office know where to deliver my mail?

A: The United State Postal Service is an active participant in the addressing project. The Post Office will have a record of your new address in advance of your address changing.

Q: How long will my current address be valid?

A: The post office will deliver mail to your current address for one year from the date of notification. After that time, it will no longer be recognized as your current address. This gives you time to notify creditors, update your driver’s license, insurance carriers, etc. 

Q: Whom should I notify of my new address?

A: Please see provided list of suggested places to inform of address change. It may be helpful to begin your own file of invoicing, correspondence and similar mailings to help remember who needs to be notified once the new addresses are finalized. This is particularly important for bills you may only pay on a quarterly or annual basis.
Checklist to change and update. (This is not an all-inclusive list)

Q: Who chooses the road names?

A: In Pennsylvania with the assistance of our GIS department, municipalities have the authority to name or re-name roads.

Q: My address on my driver’s license needs to be changed, how do I accomplish this?

A: Your driver license must be updated. There is no charge for this service. Please visit:

Please note PennDOT assesses a fee for CDL licenses. CDL license changes also require notarization, which can be done at no cost in the Montour County Prothonotary’s Office at the Courthouse.

Q: I don’t have access to a computer or I am uncomfortable filling out forms for these changes online, what do I do?

A: Montour County will provide hard-copy packets of information, which will include driver’s license and vehicle registration forms, along with potential places to contact, in a mailing to your home.  Information packets will also be available at the Courthouse, other Montour County Office buildings, Danville and Riverside Borough Buildings, Valley Township and Mahoning Township Municipal Buildings and the Thomas Beaver Free Library.

Q: What if I refuse to change or use my new address?

A: First and foremost, this project was essential because of the alarming rate of recurrence it took emergency responders to locate incidents. THIS IS ABOUT PUBLIC SAFETY! However, if you insist, you need to contact your municipal officials and let them know as you may be violating a local ordinance. You will no longer receive your mail after a year and even worse, help may not be able to get to you when you need it the most.

For additional questions, please email:

Phone: 570-387-4930